As we move into February, how are your goals for living a healthy & active life? Have you done all those things you said you were going to do? Excercise more, eat less rubbish, drink more water etc.? If like most people, your good intentions have slipped a little, you may be feeling a little discouraged, sluggish and generally not that motivated to get fit and healthy in 2018.
Last week I completed a big goal I had to set myself- running the Dubai marathon! Now that it’s over, I find myself a little “over it”, not that motivated to carry on this big fitness drive and I am seriously over all that clean eating! So time to focus on getting that fitness MOJO back!
Some hints and tips to help you stay on track with this year’s health goals:
- Be more specific than “I want to get fit”. Write down exactly what you want to achieve and by when. Spending a little time getting really detailed about what you want to achieve will help determine what the real goal might be.
- For me to stay focussed, I find that participating in a few events, races, new distances etc. helps me to stay on track and motivated. Wherever you live, there are always events you can enter whether it be a walk for charity, a park run, an ocean swim, whatever you enjoy….entering an event will keep the momentum. You don’t have to win it, you just have to complete it!
- Find a buddy or a club to train with. Being accountable to someone else will stop you bailing out. Excercise classes, running or cycling clubs or just exercising with a friend are all great ways to ensure you don’t quit.
- Make the goals something you can truly believe in, we all know the SMART acronym for setting goals, but for me it has to be something YOU wholeheartedly get behind. Not something you are pressured to do or think “that might be quite nice”. Believing is key to achieving!
- Once you set that goal, tell everyone about it, the more people you tell, the more real it will feel and the more you will feel accountable to it. This will help to keep you motivated.
- Break the goal down into bite size chunks. This will be more manageable and will keep you on track! Knowing what you have to achieve by when helps you stay focussed. Celebrate the small wins withs friends and family, keep those good vibes going.
As we are sharing, one of my 2018 goals is to train to complete a half Ironman in January 2019! Done it’s out there…now it’s your turn!